Hammertons Ferry was originally opened in 1908 by Walter Hammerton. In 1913 William Champion, and Lord Dysart, operators of the nearby Twickenham Ferry, took legal action against Hammerton to remove his right to operate the ferry. Although Hammerton won the initial case, the judgement was reversed on appeal. Following considerable public interest in the case, a public subscription raised the funds for Hammerton to take the case to the House of Lords, who ruled in his favour on 23 July 1915.
In 1947 Hammerton retired after 38 years of operating the ferry, leaving the ferry and boathouse to Sandy Scott. Sandy Scott then sold on Hammertons Ferry to Stan Rust. Stan Rust owned the ferry for 14 years before selling to current owners Mr & Mrs Francis Spencer in July, 2003.
The whole family are currently involved in all aspects of the business, however the daily running of the Ferry is by father & son, Francis & Andrew Spencer.